Thursday, June 07, 2007

I saw Doctor Geissler today to get the results of the MRI of my knee from two weeks ago.
Where your femur and your tibia meet, there is cartilage.
There is a tear on the interior side of my tibial cartilage.
The doctor said it would be from a rotational trama, so the impact from the wreck that broke my tibia also tore the cartilage at the top of my tibia. This torn 'flap' of cartilage is bending up and down as I step, and that is what is causing the pain in my knee.
This is a relief of sorts to hear. I didnt want there to not be a reason for the pain, or just to be told it was from all that my leg had been through and that it would get better with time. To me that is a non-answer.
So it is good to at least to know why ive been having problems.
The solution is to have orthoscopic surgery to scrape off the torn area. This would be an outpatient procedure, three small incisions, two for instruments and one for a camera. I would have crutches for a few days to help with balancing.
It is up to me whether to have the surgery or not and when. People can have a torn meniscus and never have enough pain or problems to have surgery to fix it. So I get to decide if I feel it interferes with life enough to go ahead and have surgery.
At this point I am leaning toward sceduling surgery for late August. We have vacations to visit family scheduled in July and August, and Id rather not have to rearrange them, and the doctor says it wont hurt anything to wait.
In other news, my parents are driving down on Friday to see us, and then Saturday the four of us are heading on to Florida to see my aunt and her family. We have some sightseeing planned, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center, and a Mystery Dinner Theatre. We didn't want to plan too much, not knowing how my leg will do and also we want time to hang out with my aunt and uncle and cousins.
We are excited about the trip, we very rarely go someplace other than Virginia or Illinois on our vacations, so this will be a fun trip, and I still get to spend time with family!! Ill be sure to post pictures when we return!
~Kristina

No comments: